[Sugar-devel] Python 2.6 for 0.88 (was: Re: Rationale behind the JSON -> CJSON switch in Sugar codebase?)

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Thu Nov 19 10:24:57 EST 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 03:11:05PM +0100, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

>> Unfortunately not all distros ship Python 2.6 yet, most notably
>> Debian. So we need to at least fall back to simplejson for those.
> Sounds good to me, so maybe we can ask for a minimum of 2.6 for 0.88?
As mentioned Debian still doesn't include 2.6 even in unstable, so
AFAICS it probably won't get into squeeze. Debian is going to continue
with the (more or less) regular 2 year release cycle after squeeze, so
we're going to be stuck with 2.5 for quite a while. I don't particularly
like that, but can't do anything about it.

Is there anything in 2.6 that's
a) very useful for Sugar but
b) doesn't have an easy enough fallback?

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/