[Sugar-devel] Sharing in Terminal

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Nov 16 21:39:41 EST 2009

Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:
> Hello,
> While going through  Ben Schwartz's Shared Term feature proposal
> discussion page
> (http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Talk:Features/Terminal_Sharing), I
> started to wonder if we could somehow implement "readonly" mode for
> sharing in the Terminal activity.
> After a weekend of hacking : I have managed to come up with the following:

I like it.  A read-only mode is definitely useful, albeit in a very
different way from a shared interactive terminal.  I couldn't figure out a
way to grab the text from the terminal, so I ended up implementing Watch
Me, which provides the same functionality (and much more general
functionality), but in a much less efficient and integrated way.

There are some UI things that will need to be worked out.  Most obviously,
the hidden split-screen is currently totally non-discoverable.  I also
think that N-to-N sharing might be more generally useful.  For example, it
could use the Terminal's tabs mechanism to show one tab for each user to
all users.  Perhaps both modes could be subsumed into one by providing a
button for each user to show or hide her terminal.

I can't tell from your e-mail what is working, exactly.  I think it's
important that TUIs like nano and less work properly, as far as possible.
 For users with different screen or font sizes, some difficulty is inevitable.

--Ben