[Sugar-devel] User workflow sharing "Journal Entries" over USB sticks

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 06:03:49 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> We do have an internal format - the ._metadata.json format outlined
> for the JEBs themselves. Sugar 0.82 writes that out in the internal
> 'datastore' storage. We can reuse it here.

Ok - so last Friday Bert Desmet and I explored the relevant code in
Sugar and started drafting out a patch.

This is draft and incomplete - but I think it shows the direction in
which I am looking
http://dev.laptop.org/attachment/ticket/9657/0001-journal.model.copy-write-json-formatted-metadata.patch

In the patch, I also separated the preview off, so for example if you
have a turtleart 'Foo' Journal Entry, then we save

 - Foo.gtar
 - .Foo.metadata
 - .Foo.preview

Reading base64 enc stuff in the middle of JSON hurts my eyes -- but
maybe I should just keep the preview embedded in there to simplify.

However it is we store it, we have to handle these cases:

 - copy from datastore to ext storage -- what the patch above does
 - rename in ext storage (which I think also has other issues -- ie:
renames don't work )
 - delete in ext storage
 - read the metadata [if available] when mounting the USB stick

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions