[Sugar-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Get Books Activity 3, now with SneakerNet/ChappalNet support

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 18:39:28 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 4:16 AM, Jim Simmons <nicestep at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sayamindu,
>
> I'm not sure why you think you'd need to use multithreading to deal
> with the multiple chunks.  Can't you just bring them in one at a time,
> parse as you go, and then display the finished result set all at once?

I'm a bit worried with incredibly long result sets (for example, a USB
stick with a few thousand entries).

> I saw your Get Books activity got praised on the OLPC blog as being a
> key part of their latest efforts with Internet Archive books.  (My
> name was listed also, but it was clearly your Activity they were
> praising).

I'm not sure about this, but I think this was done to push OPDS as
much as possible, which I believe is a sensible thing to do :-)

> It just seemed to me that it would be a good idea to give
> your efforts an official status (its own git repository, wiki page,
> ASLO downloads, etc.) as soon as possible.  Even with the shortcomings
> you mention it deserves that much.
>
> If you want to keep the original around for awhile it's fine with me.
> In the short run it won;'t hurt anything.  In the long term it makes
> more sense to have just one Activity to find and get books on the
> Internet and just one Activity to read them.  I understood from you
> that eventually Read would be able to use the formats I wrote View
> Slides and Read Etexts for.  Those Activities could also stay around
> but they might be of more use to teachers and other adults than they
> would be to the young students Sugar is targetted at.

Agreed. I think will require a couple of releases more to fix the
immediate problems, and then we could perhaps make the activity more
"official".

Thanks,
Sayamindu

--