[Sugar-devel] Bolzano - Sugar Camp - Update (1)

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Tue Nov 10 13:59:00 EST 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 07:21:36PM +0100, Simon Schampijer wrote:

> you can find news about the Sugar Camp discussion at the dedicated
> wiki page:
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Marketing_Team/Events/Sugarcamp_Bolzano_2009
Thanks!

> Today we did an evaluation of the 0.86 release and put together some
> ideas for the upcoming release (based on feedback from Tomeu's poll
> and in the field experiences).
I'd like to put an emphasis on automated testing for 0.88, even over
version support and Rainbow. Sugar has grown big enough to make it hard
to manually test every change. Even seemingly innocent, low-risk changes
can break some systems in bad ways. There's been a flurry of "fix this"
- "fix this v2" - "fix this v3" patches this time. While quite a few of
them likely would have NOT been caught by automated testing (since they
were timing related), some of them might have been.
The test suite I've written for sugar-datastore (and improved again
lately) has been invaluable during development and already paid off in
terms of time.

While UI testing is slightly more complicated than API testing (though
DBus services don't make it exactly easy either), I think it's well
worth the effort. Patches (esp. new features) that introduce no test
suite breakages have a much higher chance of being sufficiently stable
(even if not bug-free), thus making the job of the package maintainers
easier and accelerating future work.

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/