[Sugar-devel] Keep offline for Browse (offline bookmarks)

S Page skierpage at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 05:13:20 EST 2009

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 7:17 AM, Lucian Branescu
> Besides being able to save pages for offline use, this patch will also
> allow distribution of HTML content in .zip files that have an
> 'index.html' inside. Browse will happily open such files (but they may
> need certain metadata).

Why not browse the .zip files using the jar: protocol wrapper instead
of unzipping them to temporary storage?  When handling a zip file, you
should be able to just wrap it with
jar:file:///path/to/zip!/index.html and hand this to the browser.  In
the mailing list thread "directly browsing compressed content in the
datastore" Benjamin Schwartz mentioned

> Lucian experimented with jar: for browsing
> offline webpages, but ultimately rejected it after determining that
> webpages using javascript would not function properly.

Such pages worked for me, what problems did you encounter?

BTW, since .xol files are ZIP files, your patch and/or the jar:
protocol means Sugar users could view web content bundles without
having to unpack them, allowing the distribution of really large
content bundles.  I filed http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1258  I
think this is a sugar-toolkit change, but Tomeu categorized it as a
Browse bug.

Cheers,
--
=S Page