[Sugar-devel] Terminal.xo patch: do not die if the cwd is gone

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Wed Nov 4 11:44:27 EST 2009

On 4 Nov 2009, at 14:56, Martin Dengler wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 12:08:20PM -0500, paul fox wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Martin Langhoff
>> <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Attached is a trivial patch that handles gracefully the situation
>>> where cwd does not exist anymore or is no longer accessible to the
>>> olpc user.
>>>

>> frankly, i think the whole state-saving notion in Terminal (and other
>> terminal emulators i've seen) is flawed, and a bad idea
>
> I agree.  I don't see the point of Terminal's journal entries, either.

With tabs, the last page of text, and dir location being saved, I find
it extremely useful for development.

I only have a couple of Terminal Journal entries, one my default
(usually just in one of the activities directories I'm currently
working/testing on), and another with a bunch of tabs in various deep
sugar directory paths useful for poking about and tweaking Sugar
innards. Saves a heap of cd'ing about and trying to remember where
some darn Sugar resource buried.

>> (i understand the desire for restoring scrollback -- that's useful
>> history).
>
> Perhaps.  I don't find its place on the confusion/benefit curve
> interesting, though.

I would find some scrollback handy, but buffer history state saving
would be a killer feature for me at least ;-)

Regards,
-Gary