[Sugar-devel] [Bugs] #1447 NORM: Display a message when an activity fails to start

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Wed Nov 4 11:06:24 EST 2009

Hi Wade,

Just wanted to ping on this; have been running with your 0001-Notify-
shell-when-activity-process-terminates.patch and 0001-Added-Close-
button-to-activity-launcher-rewrote-lay.patch applied to sugar-jhbuild
for the last ~4 days, and it has been working very well. Some of quick
comments:

- On just one occasion (have not been able to reproducible) I saw the
'Stop' button briefly display before the activity successfully launched.

- I'm trying to find a different error message '<activity> failed to
start.' now that 'Stop' is the button text. My mind keeps grating
against the dilemma of stopping something that never actually
started :-)

- The pulse pause feels a little long, perhaps 1 or 1.5 sec would be
long enough. I really need to try and get this patch on XO-1 HW and
see what the launch time savings are like (I'm sure even a 1:1 ratio
of animation to pause should save us a couple of 2 seconds in many
cases).

- What ever the final pulse animation timing/pause ends up at
(assuming we see some XO-1 load improvement) it should also be used
for the other pulsing animations as well (activity tray activity icons
when launching, corner notification effects).

Again, fab work! It really makes activity developing test cycle much
more friendly :-)

Regards,
--Gary