[Sugar-devel] [pkg-fso-maint] Sugar on OpenMoko Freerunner

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Nov 3 19:26:10 EST 2009

Hi Arne (and others),

On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 05:50:51PM +0100, arne anka wrote:
>>I needed to temporarily hack the Sugar-toolkit library to not run the
>>initial what-is-your-name window in fullscreen, to allow a virtual
>>keyboard to appear - as the device have no interface for a real
>>keyboard.
>

>i don't knwo exactly, what that window is supposed to do, but if it
>addresses multiple users, it is probably unnecessary on the fr
>(that's, what nodm is for comparedto other desktop managers, forcing
>you to login)

I do use nodm - the issue is Sugar-specific: When logging in for the
first time ever, the user is asked to personalize the account by
providing a name and picking a color for the XO avatar.

It made good sense for the Dynabook concept which Sugar originally was
designed for (materialized as OLPC XOs a.k.a. "the $100 laptop
project"), but for better support of general *nix systems it makes sense
to me to only ask for a name if "getent passwd" does not contain a
fullname.  Hmm, if none of the cool developers capture this lazy
comment, I should probably file a bugreport at Sugarlabs. :-)

>>...oh, and also - unrelated to Sugar - I need to make the phone stack
>>on the device actually work: currently a dialog pops up to unlock my
>>SIM card but I still cannot receive or initiate phone calls. :-P
>

>sounds like you got ophonekitd installed.
>you should look for the shr-[contacts|dialer|messages] packages.

Possibly.

I finally got around to subscribing to your mailinglist now, and this
issue is probably better suited only at that list, so I will repost
there.

For the context of this thread it was only meant as a joke: I can run
Sugar on the gadget, but not yet use it as a phone. :-)

Kind regards,

  - Jonas