[Sugar-devel] On Sugar 0.84 - status of the "Chat/collab leader" issue...

David Van Assche dvanassche at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 15:54:17 EST 2009

Hey,
   I mentioned this to Walter on IRC the other day, but I'd very much
like to participate in anything telepathy based, especially, maybe
moving to mission control 5 and letting go of the admittedly
antiquated sugar presence now, I do need some guidance though, as I am
by no means  a python guru, though I've really digested telepathy and
have a pretty good feeling for the dbus bindings it has, as well as
the way D-tubes work. I didnt realise the power of having basically
networked dbus until I really got the d-tubes. It even lends a great
deal of power to things like LTSP, by being able to remotely  control
rudimentary elements that are otherwise quite difficult (remote volume
control, rmote power off, remote switch users, remote control of many
kinds... I could imagine almost a remote dashboard... much like italc,
but with more power..... and able to do things I havent even thought
about yet.... I know its exciting stuff though.... I dont thnink I'll
be able to make it to Bolzano, but I understand there will be  a
strong remote presences... so I'd be happy to help out in that area,

kind regards,
David Van Assche

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 15:07, Benjamin M. Schwartz
> <bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
>> Martin Langhoff wrote:
>>>
>>> Are you positive about this? I don't meant to troll -- but I am seeing
>>> issues (with Chat for example) where if the leader goes, 3rd parties
>>> cannot join anymore.
>>
>> That is remarkable, and worth investigating.  The Chat activity in
>> particular is designed to survive loss of the initiator, and has been
>> since the very first release.
>>
>> One related issue is  http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/934 .  Once the
>> initiator leaves, the initiator can no longer re-join due to an issue in
>> the GUI.  That bug contains a patch, but it's unclear to me whether that
>> patch was ever applied.  Maybe Tomeu can clarify the situation.
>
> It wasn't applied because without nobody else giving it a look and
> doing some testing it was too risky.
>
> It's not too late to make a new bugfix release that is shipped in
> SoaS2 or even in 0.84 on F11 on XO-1.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tomeu
>

> --
> «Sugar Labs is anyone who participates in improving and using Sugar.
> What Sugar Labs does is determined by the participants.» - David
> Farning

Samuel Goldwyn  - "I'm willing to admit that I may not always be
right, but I am never wrong." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/samuel_goldwyn.html