[Sugar-devel] Simplifying sugar-jhbuild

NoiseEHC NoiseEHC at freemail.hu
Thu May 21 07:34:20 EDT 2009

Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 12:40, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
>
>> On 05/20/09 23:29, NoiseEHC wrote:
>>
>>> When I tried jhbuild what I found strange that it does not detect the
>>> Linux distro so I had to manually enter commands as it was specified on
>>> the wiki. Can we get rid of that? (I have no idea how to detect the
>>> distro or how to automate that just to let you know this fact...)
>>>
>> You mean for installing dependencies?  This requires root privileges, so
>> jhbuild can't do it on its own.
>>
>> Besides, we used to have some distro-specific dependency check in the
>> past, but I someone (marcopg?) ripped it off, probably because it was a
>> pita to maintain.
>>

> Wasn't ripped off, but improved, we check for system dependencies in
> the supported platforms like this:
>
> ./sugar-jhbuild depscheck
>
> This will tell you which packages to install with yum/apt-get/etc.
>
> How can we make this more obvious?
>
> Regards,
>
> Tomeu

For example by autodetecting the Linux distro, it could create a full
command line. Of course, if it could be automated then it should just
say something:
"The following dependencies are missing: <long list here>. To install
them, type in your root password: <type here>".
Of course if it would be a lot of work you should not waste your time in it.
And why shall I run jhbuild 3 times anyway? It could have a default
option when it does an "update" then "depscheck" and then a "build"...