[Sugar-devel] Journal oddity: metadata with no file?

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 14:37:45 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:

> On 30 Mar 2009, at 17:27, Eben Eliason wrote:

> >> Try the latest version of Terminal. It does store both current
> >> working
> >> directory and the scrollbuffer (awesome, BTW!).
> >
> > Fantastic! I've been awaiting that improvement. Does it restore the
> > command history as well (and the environment, too, preferably)? I
> > think that would be exceedingly useful, and would give even more
> > reason to store separate terminal sessions for working in various
> > directories, or on various projects.
>
> Just covers journal save/resume of tabs, scrollback and working
> directory so far – but that makes a big difference already for folks
> who live on the Terminal side :-)

I do hope to eventually add environment save/restore, among other things.

> You should take a look from a UI design point of view as Wade added
> multiple tab support (toolbar buttons for tab add/remove and
> navigation, with the new tabs appearing along the bottom of the
> screen, a little like IRC does for rooms). I can see other Activity
> developers may pick up on this style so you might want to give it a
> once over re the design; perhaps at least standardise on some toolbar
> icons for tab functionality so other developers know what's good to
> pick-up on.
>
>        http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/648#comment:1

Yeah, I would love to see some better theming for gtk.Notebook - or an
alternate Sugar toolkit class specifically for tabs.  And tab specific
toolbar icons would also be most welcome.

I currently have: Open New Tab, Close Tab, Next Tab and Previous Tab.

I also plan to add 'New Tab with Command' which prompts the user for a
command using an Alert, and then re-executes that command each time the
Terminal instance is resumed.   The overall goal is to use the concept of
resumable activities to make Terminal more like GNU screen :)

Regards,
Wade