[Sugar-devel] Journal oddity: metadata with no file?

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Mon Mar 30 11:19:25 EDT 2009

Hi Martin,

On 30 Mar 2009, at 15:54, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> Working a bit on the restore angle of things, if I look at the
> metadata entries to build a restorable Journal Entry Bundle... well...
> in many cases there is no file to build it from.

I know previous releases of Sugar had a design flaw that lost any non-
standard metadata after a reboot (Read resuming back to the page you
were reading was a common issue). Pretty sure Tomeu fixed this with
his re-build of the datastore (sorry should really go check/test). If
so, arbitrary metadata is a **great** way for storing small items of
data rather than building a new file format.

I just think of all the time I (and others) wasted with json/
simplejson/cjson for Moon :-( when all I'm keeping is a couple of
preference flags for the view state (I'd first implemented in
metadata, until I realised the original design flaw).

Journal entries made of just metadata is a great feature for Activity
developers, not a flaw.

Regards,
--Gary