[Sugar-devel] [Marketing] Do not open a new window for menu link on sugarlabs.org

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 17:41:53 EDT 2009

Here are some ideas for a harmonized navbar across our domains, for
discussion and input please.

By way of an anology, I would like that a visitor navigating between
our welcoming reception area, our meeting room, our factory floor, our
mailroom etc. always know where s/he is and how to get to another
section and in particular the homepage: www.sugarlabs.org.

I know that Christian wants to keep the navbar short in the intro
section so it is unobtrusive... that Josh wants a friendly home for
Activities not unlike Mozilla's addons... that our wiki mavens want
their usual workspace without fuss and bother, that teachers need a
super easy to use section, and so on. That said, I think we all want
teachers, parents, funders, journalists, bug reporters, developers,
and... , kids :-) to be able to visit and explore the richness of our
site without getting lost. Because for them, there is "the Sugar Labs
site" and not 9 separate sites.

It is a measure of the labyrinthine nature of our site/sites that I
discovered some sections today I hadn't suspected even existed, and
these sections had no link to the main page or to each other.

Linking our sections will raise the visibility of our site and its
richness will show any visitor (as if there were a doubt) that our
community is vibrant.

So, here goes... let's start with the union of all the linked sections
I can find for sugarlabs.org:

Wiki
Blog (or Planet)
Lists
Bugs
Git
Schools
Activities
Download
People
Donate
API
Buildbot
Trees
Indices
Lounge (or Forums or Discussions)
Press (or Contact)
Help
About
Sitemap

plus a missing one:
Support/Feedback

26 candidates for a navbar! ...More complicated than I suspected.

Some of these, in particular Search, are never identified as local to
the section, sure to be confusing to the nontechnical visitor who just
want to "search the Sugar Labs site". Not everyone knows the Google
"site:sugarlabs.org" syntax :-)

Others are on the same subject, but point to different places; for
example, the Activities section of the intro is not yet well
integrated with activities.sugarlabs.org and even points offsite, to
the corresponding OLPC pages.

I think we can agree that 25, or 20, or even 15 choices are too many.

The traditional solution to this problem is two tiers: mouseover on
the navbar reveals subchoices.

The idea being to standardize a navbar like this at the top of every
section, giving "random access" to any other section.

For example, how about 9 main sections:

***************************

Download

Activities

Schools

Contributors
Wiki / Bugs / Git / API / Buildbot / Translate / People / Planet

Resources
Documentation / FAQ / Mailing Lists / Community News / Index / Sitemap

Wiki search / Bugs search / Schools search

Contact
Press / Forums / IRC / Support / Feedback

Donate

What do you think?

thanks

Sean