[Sugar-devel] Unable to create usb stick on ubuntu 8.10

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Thu Mar 26 06:17:34 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 11:12, Elena of Valhalla
<elena.valhalla at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Torello Querci <torello at torosoft.com> wrote:
>> I try to create usb stick using soas image soas2_200903251017.iso
>> All the step seems to run correctly but when I try to insert the stick
>> in the usb to boot a got a messate about syslink and after a white
>> screen with no possibility to boot.
>>
>> The stick is created on a ubuntu 8.10 distro.
>
> I'm having the same problem with kubuntu 8.04 hardy and it seems to be
> an issue with syslinux
>
> one workaround is to edit cf/syslinux/syslinux.cfg and change the line::
>
>   default vesamenu.c32
>
> to::
>
>   default linux0
>
> near the beginning of the file; you lose the graphical boot choice
> screen, but at least the stick works.

That's a very cool trick!

> do you know what versions of syslinux are on your ubuntu and on the
> fedora machine that worked?

I had the same problem on a Ubuntu 8.10 machine and I think that Simon
also had the same issue on Fedora 10.

I was able to get the graphical boot working by manually building
syslinux 3.73 (sources from upstream).

Maybe we should disable graphical booting if syslinux < 3.73 is present?

Regards,

Tomeu