[Sugar-devel] Collaboration for museum project

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Wed Mar 25 20:48:54 EDT 2009

2009/3/24 Luke Faraone <luke at faraone.cc>:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The Tech Museum of Innovation in San Jose would like to create an
>> exhibit of XOs and invite school classes in with their teachers. This
>> depends on how well we can get collaboration working. I have had many
>> failures with mesh networking, and have not tried a school server. How
>> is that going?

How many XOs do they have?

> School servers have worked resonably well in my tests, see
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Community_Jabber_Servers for a list to use for
> testing. The Tech will most likely want to use their own on-site server,
> which I'd be happy to set up for them (via SSH, I'm rather far from San
> Jose), although I think their techs (*grin*) will be able to handle it.

Schoolserver setup is rather straightforward in 0.5.2 if you have a
garden variety PC. Be sure to read the documentation though. There are
some gotchas. I had some trouble with a previous build on a Fujitsu
P2120 (http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/notebooks/0,39050488,39009460p,00.htm)
with 384 MB RAM. but 0.5.2 works well. I use it because its very
portable.

> Then again, mesh has worked wonderfully in my tests at local meetups in the
> DC area, with sometimes over 30 XOs on one view in the same room.

At the previous OLPC-SF meeting, we had 20+ XOs, and we didn't lose a
beat! It worked for the entire meeting on one Active Antenna.

Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
San Francisco State University