[Sugar-devel] GSoC idea: Chart/graph-making activity

NoiseEHC NoiseEHC at freemail.hu
Wed Mar 25 10:36:56 EDT 2009

Wade Brainerd wrote:
> This whole thing brings to mind something that I've been curious about
> for awhile.
> What's the "recommended" way to transfer data between activities?
> Say, I record some data in Measure and want to import it into Chart.
> Or I generate some data in Finance and want to import it into Chart.
> Is the Clipboard the way to do it?  IE, should we support specialize
> "copy as text/csv" (or whatever) and "paste text/csv" in our activities?
> Same goes for transferring of pictures.  If I take a picture in Record
> and want to paint over it in Colors!, is Copy in Record and then Paste
> in Colors! the way to go, or should I have Colors! open the Record
> Journal entry?
Me too!

I have just recently read this pdf which is about recommending IT for
science education and promoting the usage of office suites (mostly
spreadsheets / word processors / databases / paint programs) for education.
http://www.concord.org/publications/detail/itsme-98.html

They effectively recommend that for a student to have meaningful reports
or presentations the programs have to support inserting pictures and
spreadsheets into text documents.

So my question is: What is the "official" plan to support something like
OLE or KPart or Bonobo? Personally I hope that the plan is not to
support them but who thought out the perfect user story for data
exchange? My issue is that how to import models from something like
Paint into my educational application which teaches kids how to defend
the planet in case of an alien invasion...