[Sugar-devel] Full Licence field

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Sun Mar 22 05:18:22 EDT 2009

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009, Tom \spot\ Callaway wrote:

> On 03/20/2009 04:06 PM, Lyos Gemini Norezel wrote:
>> Pity. A %license (ie., like the %doc) field would be nice to have.
>
> Indeed. This is where I think the most interesting work needs to be
> done. Once rpm knows that a %license file is a special type of %doc that
> gets installed even if --excludedocs is passed, we have solved one of
> the big issues for the OLPC folks.

Heh, actually rpm has had %license special file attribute since rpm 2.5.4,
it just doesn't really do much anything at all. It also doesn't play well
together with %doc, AND since the ancient copyright -> license tag change,
%license as file attribute has gotten globbered with side-effect macro
from the License: tag, so you'll have to use %%license in the %files
section.

Other than that, making --excludedocs not affect %license files is
literally a one-liner.

Making %license use in spec saner is somewhat more complicated (due to the
funny little historical issues listed above). I take it you'd like it to
behave exactly like %doc, like

%files
%doc README NEWS ChangeLog
%license COPYING
%{_bindir}/*

...which would place COPYING into the default docdir, but with the license
attribute set. Right?

 	- Panu -