[Sugar-devel] Help with Boot Helpers?

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Fri Mar 20 19:22:14 EDT 2009

Today Mel and I went to two schools in Boston to see how Sugar on a Stick
would fare in the wild.

Notes are here:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/GPA
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Shaw_Elementary_School

The short summary is we think a wider range of "Boot Helpers" would be very
helpful.

Our top priority is a virtual machine that can be installed on a computer
that starts up Sugar but looks for student identity, journal, activities,
etc. on a USB stick.  Unlike our current emulators this would allow students
to move from machine to machine and different classes to use the same
computer lab.  For our current pilot school, GPA we need support from
Windows 2000 and Mac OSX.

Also useful would be:
- A boot helper based on F11 which we hope will help with what appear to be
driver issues.
- A boot helper on a Floppy - this will be easier to manage then trying to
get the CD Drives to open.

Thanks to much work by many volunteers we are getting close! We have
enthusiastic teachers, especially at the Gardner, chomping at the bit to try
Sugar!  Please help if you can.

Thanks!!!!
Caroline

--