[Sugar-devel] Activity platform discussion

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 21:00:38 EDT 2009

On activities.sugarlabs.org we are able to say what platforms a
particular activity supports.

Note that this is in *addition* to describing the Sugar application
version (0.82, 0.84, etc).  So the platform support has more to do
with Python version (2.5 vs 2.6), available system packages,
architecture, etc.

Currently we have:

OLPC Software Release 8.2.0 (Build 767)
Sugar on a Stick 1 (F10 based)
Sugar on a Stick 2 (F11 based)

Questions:

- Are there other OLPC builds we should add to the list?

656?
Others?

- How should we describe the distributions such as Caixa Magica?

We now have the "Sugar Platform 0.84" package set which is present in
many distributions, so alsroot suggested that we simply advertise
support for "SP 0.84" and drop the idea of platforms.  But there are
differences like Python 2.5 (SoaS1) vs 2.6 (SoaS2) that are
independent of the SP.

My thought is to add one more platform: "Linux with Sugar Platform
0.84" to cover these.

-Wade