[Sugar-devel] Print Support proposal (need input) Beta

Eben Eliason eben at laptop.org
Thu Mar 19 14:29:00 EDT 2009

2009/3/19 Vamsi Krishna Davuluri <vamsi.davuluri at gmail.com>:
> Thanks a bunch for replying, Ben!
>
> But as tomeu had pointed out, what of the schools without servers? In that
> case printing would have a need to be done from the laptops themselves.

Everyone knows that I'm always on the side of making absolutely
everything work without a server, when possible.  However, I find it
somewhat unlikely that a school without a server will happen to have a
printer, anyway.

I have to agree that a print to pdf function could be useful, though,
especially since it means that every activity can create output that
can be transferred elsewhere (via email, USB drive, etc.) for
printing.  This provides a method, albeit indirect, for G1G1 users to
print from various activities whose file formats are only understood
by a Sugar activity.

It also means that there would always be a way to send the artifact of
some activity to another XO, without having to send the raw file
(which would require the other XO to have that activity, or another
which supports the format, installed).

- Eben