[Sugar-devel] RAM DoS (was: Re: Fwd: Activity startup idea)

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 13:03:54 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 5:55 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> I see two possible scenarios:
>
> - Rainbow is developed as an independent project and Sugar depends on
> it in the same way as depends on NetworkManager.
>
> - Rainbow becomes part of glucose.
>
> But in both cases, someone needs to stand up and do the integration work.

I fully respect people's motivation in pursuing this goal, but I hope
neither of these scenarios comes to pass.  Sugar should always be
usable *without* the extra security measures, they should not become
requirements.

Part of learning to program is breaking your stuff, and an overbearing
parental figure saying "no, you can't write there, no you can't read
from there" is just going to frustrate potentials.  I grew up on
TRS-80s, Apple IIs and DOS machines, all of which could have their
data completely wiped with a few errant commands, but it never
happened even when I was messing with writing my own filesystem (I was
smart enough to use floppys for that, thankfully).

Regards,
Wade