[Sugar-devel] Fwd: Regarding the print support idea(GSoC)

Luke Faraone luke at faraone.cc
Wed Mar 18 11:29:58 EDT 2009

2009/3/18 Vamsi Krishna Davuluri <vamsi.davuluri at gmail.com>

> True enough, but I hadn't been talking about printing from activities
> directly at all for the last half of the mails. :<
> But for even CUPS to act as a server and accept incoming requests, it would
> have to excercise freedom to one port atleast, but write a bit of a code so
> that it accepts requests only from local network which ever was configured
> on the router. ;) And, we could specify certain pool of ips which are to
> access the print server.

Maybe I'm not understanding you properly: is there a reason that we can't
use the standard CUPS daemon on our print server? Are you saying that the
individual Sugar desktop should act as a server for *everyone else* in the
network? CUPS servers should, imho, be left up to the network administrator
to configure; it is beyond the scale that a child would need to perform on
their local workstation.

Sugar's role should be to offer configuration of printers that the local
system is able to access. You can probably add an extension/plugin to the
control panel which wraps Debian's
system-config-printer<http://packages.debian.org/sid/system-config-printer>,
which is written in Python and has (AFAICT) no extra dependancies other than
what sugar already requires. Added/autodetected printers can appear in the
network view as devices, if you want extra bonus points :)

--
Luke Faraone
http://luke.faraone.cc