[Sugar-devel] Sugar Labs

Bryan Berry bryan.berry at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 21:59:15 EDT 2009

Felipe,

"never bet against the browser" is absolutely true

However, gnash is roughly 2-3 developer years behind macromedia flash.
the big hurdle is adding support for ActionScript3 to Gnash.

I don't think that better integrating Gnash into Sugar would be the best
use of your time. The better bet is to integrate activities created with
javascript + html5 into Sugar.

I earlier advocated a framework called "Karma" for integrating flash
swfs into Sugar. I now believe that javascript + html5 is a much better
bet because it better adheres to our common belief in open-source and
allows "View Source." Also, there are far more javascript developers out
there than flash developers. This new rework of Karma could take
advantage of projects like jquery-UI and new javascript animation
libraries like processing.js and GX.

You could start out by trying to recreate some of OLE Nepal's existing
flash activities as javascript + html5. You can find some here:
http://www.pustakalaya.org/external-content/static/epaath/E-Paath-2.activity/activity/Activity/MenuStage.html

If you are interested in such a project, I am definitely be interested
in mentoring you. I have to warn you though that I am professionally a
project manager and not a software engineer. In fact my software
development skills are extremely limited beyond writing broken python
scripts.

--
Bryan W. Berry
Technology Director