[Sugar-devel] Fwd: Regarding the print support idea(GSoC)

Luke Faraone luke at faraone.cc
Tue Mar 17 18:06:33 EDT 2009

Sorry, I accidentally pressed "send" before I had finished! :)

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 1:50 AM, Vamsi Krishna Davuluri <
vamsi.davuluri at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you!
>
> I think I'll do what you said, I'll just let every activity send the print
> request(the file,metadata involved etc) to journal, and use it as a global
> dock to print the file.
> So a button in every activity does just that with minimal tweaking around.

Makes sense.  One should be careful to not expose the CUPS service to
activities directly, as one of the threats we have to worry about is
resource abuse. Ideally (IMHO), pressing "print" should have the object sent
via the dbus to the journal and a preview dialog with a "to" menu and a
"options" dialog (which brings up the properties configurable by the
driver).

>  On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 1:27 AM, Benjamin M. Schwartz <
> bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

[...]

> Perhaps in the drop-down menu for each item in
>> the Journal, there could be a "Print this item" option if the item has a
>> MIME type of (pdf, odt, png, jpg...).

Yes, it would be a good idea to have a "list of supported print formats" for
simplicity. PostScript, of course, should be supported as a fallback.

--
Luke Faraone
http://luke.faraone.cc