[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] DC Photo Jam 2 - New batch of photos of SoaS running onnetbooks

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Tue Mar 17 08:58:29 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 05:42:36AM -0400, John Watlington wrote:
> On Mar 17, 2009, at 5:34 AM, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 04:48, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:
> >> I would expect it to be faster on other processors.
> >
> > I don't think the processor is the biggest factor. In my profiling, I
> > have seen bigger impact from jffs2/nand, the graphics subsystem and
> > the lack of swap.
>
> > If you run Soas-1 on a sd card with some swap space, you will see how
> > the XO feels much faster.
>
> The difference here is that read access to data/programs on an SD
> card is about twice as fast as JFFS2 (and incurs little processor
> overhead, whereas JFFS2 tends to occupy the processor 100%), and
> write access is about 15 times faster than JFFS2.  I doubt the
> speedup is due to the presence of swap.

I seem to recall this is one of those conversations that comes up
periodically, and that once someone / people created a wiki page with
thoughts on a partitioning layout design that could be of broad use.
Does anyone know where that wiki page is?  I couldn't find it with
some naive google searches...

Martin