[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Running sugar at almost-native speeds in Windows

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Thu Mar 12 16:09:16 EDT 2009

Removed iaep from CC as I we're just talking about technical details
without educational impact now.

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 10:44:32PM -0400, Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:

[Sugar _does_ work (natively) over an ssh tunnel]
> Are you using the "sugar-emulator" command?
Usually, but I've also run sugar directly on a regular X server:

startx $(which ssh) sugar at aquarium.local ./.xinitrc -- :2

(with .xinitrc containing "exec dbus-launch --exit-with-session
sugar-shell")

I tried it again a few minutes ago and it's about as fast (or rather
slow) as locally (haven't tried out any fancy stuff like Jukebox
though).

The most interesting thing was that Debian bug #512258 [1] did NOT
happen (while the same command - with or without ssh - issued locally
triggered it). But that's only a side issue. :)

>> Don't VMs on Windows require admin privileges to install and/or run
>> (I honestly don't know)?
> I presume that we can package up the emulator as just some .exe on a
> USB stick, to be run without needing installation.
As I've heard (read: I don't really know) most VMs on Windows need
kernel drivers as well. Those would need to be installed by an
administrator.

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/512258

CU Sascha

--