[Sugar-devel] [Etoys] [ANNOUNCE] FreeCell activity

karl ramberg karlramberg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 18:49:06 EDT 2009

On 3/10/09, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> This weekend saw the annual meeting of the German Squeak association.
> One of the sessions on Sunday's "unconference" day was how to make
> Sugar activities using Squeak. Here is the example I made, a bit
> refined (the hardest part was actually to make a not-too-embarrassing
> icon in Inkscape):
>
> http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4054
>
> If it works for anybody else, please report back so I can request that
> it be moved from the "sandbox" to the "public" area. Before that it
> won't show up in the "games" section.
>
> Just like the Etoys activity this depends on the etoys package being
> installed. So it should work on SoaS-1 already, and on SoaS-2 as soon
> as Sebastian figured out why etoys was not getting pulled in. It also
> should work fine on older versions, like OLPC's 8.2 release.
>
> The activity's purpose is foremost to demonstrate how to write a
> Squeak-based activity (on Sugar 0.84 use view-source to see the
> Smalltalk code), but it also is a fun game in its own right.
>
> - Bert -

Nice icon :-)

There are some rough edges, so here is a few suggestions:

1 disable halos, menus and lock background so it cant be picked up.
2 Help window and statistics window without menu, collapse and
fullscreen button.
3 The pick-game-fill-in-the-blank got accepted as a drop into the
playfield when I tried to  move it.

There is also a issue I have seen before in Free cell and that is when
moving a bunch of cards, sometimes you can pick up many, sometimes
not. Maybe there is a rule to how many cards can be moved ????

Karl