[Sugar-devel] [Etoys] [ANNOUNCE] FreeCell activity

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Mar 11 13:08:49 EDT 2009

On 10.03.2009, at 23:49, karl ramberg wrote:

> On 3/10/09, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>>
>> http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4054
>
> There are some rough edges, so here is a few suggestions:
>
> 1 disable halos, menus and lock background so it cant be picked up.
> 2 Help window and statistics window without menu, collapse and
> fullscreen button.
> 3 The pick-game-fill-in-the-blank got accepted as a drop into the
> playfield when I tried to  move it.
>
> There is also a issue I have seen before in Free cell and that is when
> moving a bunch of cards, sometimes you can pick up many, sometimes
> not. Maybe there is a rule to how many cards can be moved ????

Well, one could argue that if you play this with real cards, you can
do this, too. You're only cheating yourself ;)

But you are welcome to contribute:

http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/freecell/

Fixes to the game logic should go in a new etoys release. Improvements
to the Sugar activity should be made in gitorious:

http://sugarlabs.org/go/ActivityTeam/GitFAQ

One obvious next step would be to save something to the Journal. Using
the DBus Datastore API directly is a bit more cumbersome than
necessary (e.g., the datastore does not fill in timestamps, but the
Python toolkit breaks if there is no time stamp).

I was going to write a message about how cumbersome it is to use the
datastore, like how a simple 3 liner (open file, append log entry,
close file) becomes a 20-line program, but at least for now we have to
live with that anyway. If you are interested, I attached a snippet
demonstrating that file logging, using the Journal if running in Sugar.

- Bert -