[Sugar-devel] RAM DoS

Luke Faraone luke at faraone.cc
Mon Mar 9 18:35:59 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Sascha Silbe <
sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 05:25:50PM -0400, Luke Faraone wrote:
>
>  But unfortunately most Sugar installations other than XOs will lack
>> bitfrost, which is a wider issue that merits further investigation: Should
>> sugar adopt bitfrost?
>>
> IMO Rainbow (the current implementation of process/activity isolation)
> should be integrated into Sugar and made mandatory. At the very least it
> should be optional, though. I.e. just installing Rainbow should suffice to
> make your system more reliable, no Sugar-specific configuration required.

That's the problem: Rainbow is not currently compatible with GNOME, as in
there are no bindings for launching a rainbow'd application. There's nothing
to stop you from running it, it just won't isolate non-sugar-activities
magically by default, and most programs will be incompatible with it. (and
will need source changes)
--
Luke Faraone
http://luke.faraone.cc