[Sugar-devel] RAM DoS (was: Re: Fwd: Activity startup idea)

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Mon Mar 9 17:22:06 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 11:52:53AM -0500, Wade Brainerd wrote:

> It happens to me at least once every couple of days on build
> 767...first the
> UI freezes, then the trackpad stops responding, and if I'm lucky I can
> manage to Ctrl-Alt-F1 and kill Browse before having to just hard power
> off.
This sounds like a security issue to me. Strangely, Bitfrost [1] only
seems to address CPU and NAND exhaustion, but not RAM.
No activity should be able to do what you describe above, whether
intentionally or not.
While a low memory warning has merits on its own, the underlying issue
should be fixed as well. The most simple thing to do would be limiting
segment sizes. Better solutions might tweak priorities for "core" system
components (like sugar-shell) and/or require kernel changes (e.g.
implement RLIMIT_RSS handling).

[1] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Bitfrost

CU Sascha

--