[Sugar-devel] easier installation of soas

Eben Eliason eben at laptop.org
Sun Mar 1 20:20:17 EST 2009

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 8:12 PM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:

> On 2 Mar 2009, at 00:21, Caroline Meeks wrote:
>
>> Point of clarification.
>>
>> The next sticks we are getting will not be randomly given out to
>> people.
>>
>> We are going to use them for:
>>
>> 1. Working with classes of kids at computer labs for an hour or two.
>> In an ideal world we could let them keep their stick so they could
>> work on thier project after the class is over.  We hope to get
>> testing and publicity from these events.
>> 2. Giving out at FOSS VT. A conference for educators interested in
>> Free and Open Source Software. I'd like to see if we can get people
>> back channeling the conference through Sugar Chat and shared write.
>
> Just a word of warning on Write, last time I tested (8.2,
> 8.2.1,Write-60) it's still a 'master/slave' set-up when working
> collaboratively. If you leave (say you go home, or switch off
> wireless), do some more work on the write journal entry, and later
> rejoin a master (i.e the document you had originally shared) – all
> your changes are wiped as they get re-synced with whatever is on the
> current master. Who ever gets to be master of a previously shared
> write session first, gets to keep their work, every one else looses.
>
> Very bad usage case would be:
>
> - teacher get 5 kids to start a shared assay project in class together
> about hobbies
> - then tasks them to each add a new section about their own hobby as
> homework
> - next day... first kid that boots up and resumes their entry will be
> master
> - other 4 kids arrive, resume... and all get their homework auto-wiped
> by kid number 1
>
> Fail.
>
> This is one of the reasons I don't like the design mantra of, "once
> shared you have no private control of that activity any more" (i.e.
> you can never un-share an activity). And combined with the Journal
> auto-keeping, you work is wiped and then auto-saved as wiped, if you
> had the foresight to make an extra 'kept' copy before you came to
> school, don't risk ever resuming it with your network active, or it
> may be wiped as well.

This sounds like a pretty substantial Sugar bug. It's the reason that
I've been adamant that we need to introduce the notion of versions,
and that an (activity_id, version_id) tuple serve as the unique
identifier of a running activity instance.  In this manner, the saved
copies of the "slaves" would take on different version_id, and Sugar
would recognize them as distinct from the running "master" when
resumed, and open them separately (to make copy/paste merge possible).

It sounds like this bug should be added to the list for the next
release.  (We can keep a version identifier of sorts without true
versioning...)

- Eben