[Sugar-devel] Journal feature request--more data in main display

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Tue Jun 30 13:02:11 EDT 2009

On 30 Jun 2009, at 00:32, Michael Stone wrote:

-- big snip from old thread ---

>> - Better Anything toolbar filter palette (use a grid layout to
>> minimise scrolling)
>
> How do you think
>
>   http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Designs/Toolbars
>
> would work out here?

An 'Anything' filter button opening a palette with a grid layout of
filter options could work as is right now. It could be a relatively
small and contained code change, for a relatively large improvement in
usability. I guess (in Ebens toolbar mock-ups) a pop-up row could be
filled with the same filter options, but it would need to cope with
multi row layouts as the number of filter options grows over time
(i.e. as more Activities are installed).

More generally regarding the toolbar mock-ups, some points needing
clarification:

- Stop button must be visible at ALL times, none of these mock-ups
show a stop
- Activity collaboration control has disappeared, assume this should
be a primary icon
- No solution yet for textual names/labels (inventing unique and clear
icons is going to get real tough, real fast, and many Activity authors
already struggle creating decent activity icons).
- Activity title has disappeared from toolbar is that intentional to
rely on the naming dialogue every-time?

Being Mr ActivityTeam at the moment, I do really worry about the
amount of work this is going to be to get Activities updated and
complying to a large toolbar redesign. Supporting both toolbar API
styles will help, but I think we'll end up with multiple toolbar
styles in different Activities for perhaps 6 months to a year or more.
That's a bad backward step for usability. Just look at the amount of
time/effort it is taking to migrate Activities over to SL
infrastructure, let alone making anything but minor maintenance code
changes to them.

>> - Perhaps a Tag toolbar filter palette (could be a mini tag cloud)
>
> What do you think of Scott's journal2 design here?

Technically? A massive redesign requiring a rock-star lead developer
and a long-term commitment to refine, debug, and stabilise over
several Sugar platform release cycles. There are nice ideas in there,
I particularly like the idea of turning directory paths into tags as a
way to access the file system. But, a much simpler option would be to
let a user type something like "/usr/local/..." in the existing
Journal search and have the Journal display a basic folders/files
view, typing just "/" would show the root level and a user could
navigate old school style from there. Copy/paste could be extended to
move content between Journal/file-system views, and external devices
could show the file-system view by default so a USB key or SD card
could be more easily managed.

Regards,
--Gary