[Sugar-devel] Journal feature request--more data in main display

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Tue Jun 30 09:31:33 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 08:46:56AM -0400, Eben Eliason wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 8:20 AM, Aleksey Lim<alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> We weren't trying, while designing this, to get too deep into lots
> >> organizational models. Instead, we were trying to capture "sessions"
> >> as actions which reference one or more objects, where a session, or an
> >> action, is basically one continuous use of a given activity. In the
> >> case of record, this might create several photos (separate objects),
> >> which get grouped into the action. Most activities would have a 1-1
> >> association with objects, but not all.
> >>
> >> This also gives us a way to describe actions other than "working in an
> >> activity." For instance, we might have an action for "copy _object_ to
> >> _flash_", "sent _object_ to_person_", or "received _object_ from
> >> _person_". Also, things like "became friends with _person_" and
> >> "joined _group_" would be great to have. We could have "installed
> >> _activity_" and "updated _activity_" actions. Etc.
> >
> > A couple of related questions.
> > How the process of "recording" these sessions/activities should look?
>
> I think the standard procedure for creating an action is the usual
> process of starting or resuming an activity, working with that
> activity for some duration, and then stopping the activity again. This
> series of steps will normally result in a single action. (Pressing
> "keep" manually would introduce additional ones.) Most likely, the
> Journal/DS would create an action and provide that to the activity to
> add to as needed. Record, for instance, would periodically add new
> image objects to that action.

> If it so desired, an activity could also
> request a new action from the Journal.
maybe we should keep action related maintenance only user driven
and do not let activities implicitly create new actions?

btw "action" and "activity" sounds similar
maybe using something like "record" or "session"?

erikos: and looks like these actions are the same that Dairy activity
should be

> > Should we treat current state of the shell like a current session and
> > what would happen if we restore to this current state another session
> > from Journal?
>
> Less frequently, actions would be recorded by the shell for things
> like making friends, copying/sending/receiving objects, etc. These
> actions are basically just containers which reference the related
> objects. Some, such as making friends, might not even reference an
> object at all (though it might be nice to introduce people as objects
> with entries in the Journal (like address book cards in the future).
in my mind action like "making friends" goes rather to implementing undo
then to actions, I think its a good idea to keep actions only
DS-objects/activity-instances related to keep things consistent.

--
Aleksey