[Sugar-devel] Sugar Presence Service and Resume Behavior

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Jun 29 22:12:38 EDT 2009

My GSoC project involves getting "offline collaboration" working. My model
for this is that two users can join a shared session, then go offline,
resume the session from the journal, continue working, and then later
resume again when they are on the same network/server and have the two
instances merge.  In Groupthink, all of my algorithms are designed to
support this.  However, I have discovered that when two such instances are
resumed, they do not connect to each other.*

I believe the problem lies in the interaction between the Presence Service
and the Datastore, and before I spend too many hours puzzling out how it
works, I wonder if anyone could tell me what changes are likely to be
necessary to achieve the desired behavior.  From my limited understanding
of the code, it seems that if an instance is resumed from the Journal, its
unique activity_id might change, and this might prevent it from being
correctly identified as an instance of an existing shared session.

I also wonder what the status of the Presence Service rewrite/removal is.

--Ben

*: I've been testing in 0.82, but I'm not aware of any changes that should
affect this behavior.