[Sugar-devel] [Marketing] Linuxtag - Résumée

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 09:57:37 EDT 2009

I'm exhausted and even asked myself if it was worth it I was so tired
last night. But this morning I was recharged!

I have posted a link to my Flickr photostream
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/39656470@N02/sets/72157620524327203/) at
the bottom of the LinuxTag 2009 page.

Simon you did a fantastic job coordinating all the loose ends, I
really appreciated how you helped me out with logistics & lodging
problems.

Although lugging 3 XOs and 5 netbooks around was difficult (especially
at the airports), the impact of running Strawberry on a table full of
machines was undeniable - all visitors understood immediately Sugar on
a Stick's ability to run on different hardware. The teachers liked
comparing the netbooks (all preferred the XOs).

I salute James for shimmying up the vertical poles to tape Sugar Labs
balloons to the "roof" of the booth, they were visible as Fun Central
from all the way across the hall and every kid who visited got a
balloon or two (appreciative mothers). James was tireless in
explaining Sugar to attendees, we had a steady stream of visitors the
two days I was there.

I even had a chance to act up by running the Distance Activity with a
booth visitor and backing into the center of the hall while the XO
buzzed, a bit of street theater - everybody dropped what they were
doing to see what was going on.

Our "boothmates" were very friendly which made everything easy.

I left one of the booth banners and a balloon tree (shoebox with
plastic pieces to stick balloons onto) with Simon as a booth kit so we
now have one in Brussels/Paris and one in Berlin.

It was great Adam was there and Martin Langhoff too for awhile, many
visitors had questions about OLPC and the XOs and I was able to
introduce them.

I loaded many sticks (even had a short queue for awhile), I tested
each one by rebooting, entering the visitor's name, letting them
choose their color, and setting their language (not always German by
the way). They all seemed excited to walk away with a Strawberry
stick.

In the improvement department, maybe just "bigger booth" ;-) but of
course that would also mean "more booth helpers". With more space, we
could have scheduled a little "class" event, although the venue was
not overcrowded - everyone who was interested in Sugar did get a
chance to speak to one of us.

Thanks again Simon, I feel it was a real success and I think
datelining the press release from LinuxTag was the right thing to do
(try a Google News search in English on "LinuxTag" you'll see what I
mean)

Sean