[Sugar-devel] Journal feature request--more data in main display

Eben Eliason eben at laptop.org
Sun Jun 28 12:04:46 EDT 2009

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 5:39 PM, Edward Cherlin<echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> We have about 60 characters worth of blank space in every Journal
> entry. It would be a great help if we could display 40-50 characters
> from the description field for each entry on the main page. We could
> also drop off the word Activity from every Activity name.

I think the blank space you're referring to is reserved to show
collaboration, so it's not strictly wasted space. It might be worth
comparing the current implementation to the mockups here:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Designs/Journal

In particular, look at slides 2 and 3. I'd be happy to hear feedback
on how to improve those designs. I think dropping "Activity" from the
default instance names is a fine idea. In fact, I'm still hoping that
we can institute a policy that allows activities to specify their own
defaults, so that instead of getting "Paint Activity" I could instead
get "Eben's Painting." I think exploring the exposure of tags in the
list view (by making the title portion two lines, with the tags
beneath the title) is worth exploring. Getting the tagging system out
in the open would be really beneficial, I think.

Eben