[Sugar-devel] Flossmanuals?

Bastien bastienguerry at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 27 05:09:07 EDT 2009

Hi Edward,

Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 7:35 AM, Bastien<bastienguerry at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I'm a bit skeptical about using flossmanuals for co-writing and
>> translating Sugar's documentation.
>>
>> What are the real benefits over a simple wiki?
>
> The documentation on the OLPC and SugarLabs Wikis is barely usable for
> experts, severely incomplete, and not in any way usable or acceptable
> for novices. They need to have a path laid out through the essential
> topics, even if they choose to skip over some the first time through.

It costs the same energy, whether you put useful content on the wiki or
on FM.  My point was that the benefits of putting this energy in a wiki
are higher.

(And I agree that the *current* content of the wikis are not usable for
beginners...  but it doesn't anyone from putting such beginner-oriented
content on it, isn't it?)

> On the other hand, if you have a plan and would care to lead a Wiki
> sprint, we might come out with something acceptable. I'm game.

No plan yet, as my focus is on french documentation.

> But then, how would we turn that into a PDF or book?

Aren't there mediawiki->PDF converters out there?

At least for dokuwiki you can do this: dokiwiki -> odt -> pdf

best,

--
 Bastien