[Sugar-devel] PRINTING – The Interface and Engineering Models

Vamsi Krishna Davuluri vamsi.davuluri at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 13:15:33 EDT 2009

 Tomeu suggested approach:

Which is an approach implementing the Printing Libraries provided

by the activity parents like Evince, Abiword and Mozilla.

 *Evince has a list of functions in C which I have been looking up,

but sadly enough they don't come as libraries, so its hack and extract

them before I can even get them to work as a Library.

*Abiword doesn't have wrappers readily visible either, and also I realise

i'm not upto the level of understanding C++ abiword code much,

because it makes my C++ skills look newbie

 *Browse, I have to look up again.

 But the advantages with this approach is:

   1.

   We wont have to insert any new code, we would just be getting a few
   wrappers, and calling them up
   2.

   We can provide a very efficient printing scenario.

 Disadvantages include:

   1.

   I can't fix the amount of time I'd be requiring to finish this up

 A more lenient but resource unfriendly approach(s)

 Case-1: Go with the original plan, that is the Printing activity.

Creating Print Icons in other activities that connect to Print activity
through tubes.

And export their docs to it, have it converted to PDF and use gtkunixprint.

 Advantages:

   1.

   I won't have to kill any of the things I have done so far.
   2.

   Should be very trivial to implement.

 Disadvantages:

   1.

   Not the best approach
   2.

   Could be resource unfriendly

 Case-2: Do the PDF conversion within the activities such as Read and Write

themselves for the pages selected. And connnect them to Print activity, and
print them.

 Advantages:

   1.

   Improvement of case-1, and It should be much more resource friendly
   especially when printing selected pages from a book

Disadvantages:

Has the same as case-1

 Silbe's Approach:

Implementing any of the before said cases, but not implementing tubes/events

for connecting to activities, just save to journal, and again open with
Print Activity.

 Advantages:

   1.

   kills connecting code
   2.

   should make an identical copy of the Printed document in the journal

 Disadvantages:

   1.

   Inherits the ones from the parent blueprint
   2.

   Some folks might disagree ;)