[Sugar-devel] Sugar + OLPC mesh network selection logic

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Mon Jun 22 23:08:00 EDT 2009

Hi Gary,

   > Hmmm, how about when a class of kids first boot up and
   > _automatically_ connect to some random, unfiltered, strangers
   > open/public wifi next to the school, rather than following the
   > teachers instructions to attach to an encrypted school AP running
   > through a firewall?

I'd give the same response:  you say an authority figure might want
something else to happen, but the authority figure hasn't preloaded
the encrypted network as a favorite network on the laptop (much more
sensible than expecting young children to type in WPA passwords), and
so all we have to go on is what we think the will of our user is.

In a conflict between what the user might want and what an imagined
authority figure might want, I think the user should win.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>