[Sugar-devel] Sugar Print Queue and Device Icon

Eben Eliason eben at laptop.org
Mon Jun 22 22:33:07 EDT 2009

Cool!

Here's a link to Sugar's printer icon. You should be able to reference
it directly like all standard device icons, as it's already in
artwork:
http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/sugar-artwork/repos/mainline/blobs/master/icons/scalable/device/printer.svg

Also, it might be nice to color the printer based on a hash (perhaps
of the name), similar to wireless networks. It's unlikely that kids
will have access to many at once, and I'm not sure when/if network
printing will arrive, but in any case it would be great to associate
the identity of a given printer with fixed colors, especially since
this will keep it constant for every kid that hooks up to it in the
case of a communal printer.

Some other thoughts on visuals:

1. Perhaps the state of the job could be rendered in gray to make it
less prominent than the name of the job, and to reduce visual clutter.
2. Is the "Document:" prefix part of the name of the entry in the
Journal? What other values can it have? If this isn't useful, I'd
definitely drop it in favor of just showing the entry title, which
will be more understandable.
3. The empty space beneath the queue is a little strange. Is there a
way to avoid that? Perhaps it wouldn't be a problem if the menu had
some other options in it, such as...
4. We could add a "Pause printing" item to the menu, which would
become "Resume printing" when clicked. I'm not sure if this is
actually needed, though it's a common option.
5. Finally, I just want to inspire thought about which order the jobs
are ordered. I'm not suggesting that it's wrong as is, but wondering
if one way or the other actually seems more right. Should the active
job be at the top of the queue?

Overall, looking great! Excellent work, so far.

Eben