[Sugar-devel] Sugar + OLPC mesh network selection logic

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Mon Jun 22 22:19:39 EDT 2009

On 23 Jun 2009, at 02:11, Chris Ball wrote:

> Hi Gary,

>>> What trouble is that asking for?
>>
>> A very fair question:
>
> I think that Sugar should prioritize what its user might want over
> what the potential wishes of a potential authority figure might be.
>

> I don't think I've ever been in a situation where connecting to an
> open access point would have displeased me, when it was the only
> connectivity available.

Hmmm, how about when a class of kids first boot up and _automatically_
connect to some random, unfiltered, strangers open/public wifi next to
the school, rather than following the teachers instructions to attach
to an encrypted school AP running through a firewall? Maybe I am
playing devils advocate a little here – but if another example of this
implementation helps, here's Apples network setting for this case: