[Sugar-devel] Sugar + OLPC mesh network selection logic

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Mon Jun 22 19:04:07 EDT 2009

On 22 Jun 2009, at 15:44, Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:

> Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>>> I'm not quite clear on your exact intention here.  I'd just like to
>>> suggest that unknown unencrypted infrastructure APs get higher
>>> priority
>>> than mesh.
>>
>> Even if the user never connected to that AP before?
>
> Yes.  I suspect that even the pay-for-access APs in internet cafes and
> airports still allow link-local connections for free, and it will
> likely
> be much faster than the mesh.  It also provides the best chance of
> getting
> an internet connection.

I'm not sure that was quite the question. Should Sugar automatically
attach to a public AP even though it has never been manually attached
to that AP before? I'd say a bug **NO** to that one. Sure
automatically create link-local connections if no know AP is found.
But, auto attach to any old public AP with no prior user selection?
That's just asking for trouble...

Regard,
-Gary