[Sugar-devel] Customizing a Master Stick

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 17:30:30 EDT 2009

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 7:13 AM, Caroline
Meeks<caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
> I have a cool USB Copy machine thanks to NexCopy.

What is its capacity? Can some of us order sticks from you for schools
and demos? What do sticks cost in appropriate quantity?

> My plan for FOSSED is to create a stick, download the extra activities, etc.
> I want, ideally add the manual pdf, and then de-personalize the stick and
> copy it.
>
> Walter showed me that rm -r .sugar will take a stick back to the state where
> it asks for your name.
>
> But it also clears the journal entirely.  The activities I've downloaded are
> still there, but no longer in my favorites.

I believe that .sugar/default/favorite_activities may be one of the
files you want to keep. I don't know whether
/usr/share/sugar/data/activities.defaults is significant for what you
want to do, but I suspect so.

> I think I want to be a bit more selective.  What should I delete to just
> remove the users name and colors, but leave the Journal.

For this and other reasons, we need to document .sugar. For example, I
need to extract Journal entries created in SoaS running on VirtualBox,
where I cannot mount either a real or virtual USB drive.

.sugar
  debug (configuration)
  default/
    cache/
    com.garcmartin.Moon/
    data/
    datastore/
    logs/
    nm/
    org.laptop.*Activity/
    buddy-icon.jpg
    favorite_activities
    owner.key
    owner.key.pub
    terminalrc

And so forth.

> Where do I look to see the Journal contents so I can delete that which I
> want to get rid of by hand.

The org.laptop.*Activity directories have the structure

    org.laptop.*Activity/
      data/
      instance/
      tmp/

Files needed by the Activity are in data/. For example, Turtle
Art keeps the .png files rendered from the .svgs in
.sugar/default/org.laptop.TurtleArtActivity/instance/.
That way it doesn't have to render them every time it starts.

Journal entries are encoded in .sugar/default/datastore/.

Presumably someone could take some of the Python code from Journal and
create a Journal browser that operates outside Sugar, and lets
developers and teachers transfer Journal entries without having to do
it by USB stick every time.

> Thanks!
> Caroline
>
> --