[Sugar-devel] Getting Sugar to run on certain mac chipsets

Bobby Powers bobbypowers at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 01:44:44 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 1:18 AM, Amir Ansari<amir at open-edu.co.uk> wrote:
> But the problem is that 'modeset' works with other machines and takes
> advantage of a very useful kernel feature. Adding a blanket
> 'nomodeset' removes this feature - it allows Mac booting, but to the
> detriment of all other hardware.

I wouldn't say all other hardware.  Intel graphics are the only one in
mainline as of 2.6.30 that take advantage of modesetting, and
hopefully Fedora's ATI modesetting will be accepted into the mainline
for .31.  At this point (things may be different in a year or two),
kernel modesetting doesn't add much performance wise.

bobby