[Sugar-devel] testing composition for speeding up graphics performance

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Thu Jun 18 19:51:11 EDT 2009

On 18 Jun 2009, at 10:29, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:21, Sascha
> Silbe<sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:09:06AM +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>>
>>> Wonder if that's intended, as going to a zoom level involves some
>>> kind
>>> of animation, i.e. is not intended to take you there as fast as
>>> possible.
>>
>> What kind of animation? I can't remember ever having seen one
>> (unless you
>> count the time it takes to populate the screen).
>
> It's not supposed to be too obvious. It's more visible if you go from
> the home level to the neighborhood, you should see the XO zooming out
> before the screen is redrawn.

Yes I agree with that, but only if you are changing from one of the
base 3 zoom levels to another. Once you switch to an Activity level
zoom, there should be no zoom from some old negihbourhood/group/home
state to a new one that you're trying to switch to. If we had posh HW
accelerated compositing, the animation should be something like a
cross-dissolve and dolly back from the Activity view level to the new
negihbourhood/group/home view.

Of course, the current behaviour is correct 33% of the time :-)
because you may be going back to the same zoom view as before, it's
only the other 66% of the time that you get shown an initially
incorrect zoom view.

Hmmm, I seem to remember an old ticket where this problem was showing
up before, had some almost complete patches if I remember (gee, now
who was working on that, I remember testing the patches through
several revisions)... Any one know?

Regards,
--Gary