[Sugar-devel] the SoaS term (was: Press release flurry planning...)

David Van Assche dvanassche at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 16:28:09 EDT 2009

Well, I'm not going to get dug deeper into a semantic discussion here.
My only point, and I think its quite clear to most people is that the
use of the words sugar on a stick are not solely the property of one
distribution (fedora) and ought not to be coupled with just one
distribution. It should (and this has nothing to do with word policing
of any kind, as funny as that remark might be) describe the medium by
which sugar is delivered (a usb stick) Nowhere is there any mention of
something distro specific, nor should there be. The term itself is
great to describe what it is... and other distribution packagers are
bound to use the same terms, since it quite rightly describes the end
product. Just as Sugar on a CD describes very well that product. Like
someone else suggested, if one chooses to brand sugar on a stick for
Fedora, they can come up with a mirriad of names, lollypop being one
of them...

I am actually quite surprised that this discussion is coming up on a
mailing list that is very open source based. Taking ownership of a
very generic term goes against the philosophy/politics of open source
in general. Reminds me of the bbc's patent on urls... they were the
first to use the term click on a link (and patenteted it)....

Regards,
David Van Assche

<-- rest snipped for brevity -->