[Sugar-devel] updating from ASLO

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Thu Jun 18 15:28:35 EDT 2009

The basic principle behind the ALSO updater seems to be that you send
a url to ASLO - Services and it responds with a list of available
updates.

Server side, the updater is part of ALSO services, a collection of
activity related services.  The relevant code is found under
site/app/webroot/services .

The location of services is defined in config.php.  I think that we
defined it as http://activities.sugarlabs.org/services .

The url is sent by the client is of the form

    *  service URL schema version
    * app name
    * app version
    * app buildid
    * app buildtarget
    * app locale
    * aus channel
    * distribution name
    * distribution version

e.g.,

/update/3/Firefox/3.0a8pre/2007083015/Darwin_x86-gcc3/en-US/default/Darwin%208.10.1/testpartner/1.0/update.xml

see https://wiki.mozilla.org/Software_Update for more information.

Client side Firefox generates the url via the following java script code.

http://mxr.mozilla.org/firefox/source/toolkit/mozapps/update/src/nsUpdateService.js.in

It should be straight forward to modify
sugar-jhbuild/source/sugar-update-control/src to create a appropriate
url.

Currently I am stuck trying to manually create a test url.  I think
the following should work

https://aus2.mozilla.org/update/3/Firefox/3.0a8pre/2007083015/Darwin_x86-gcc3/en-US/default/Darwin%208.10.1/testpartner/1.0/update.xml

but it just returns

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<updates>
</updates>

Anyone see anything obvious that I am screwing up?

thanks
david