[Sugar-devel] Correct mailing list was Re: [IAEP] Show Must Go On - SoaS for the XO-1

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Wed Jun 17 21:50:11 EDT 2009

We have seriously hijacked the original thread:(

This has not been much of an issue because the lists have been low
enough traffic that everyone was able to keep track of everything.

For the first six months, everyone in the project went to every irc
meeting.  As a result a lot of stuff was decided at meeting.  I have
_decided_ not to attend to irc meetings so that I am not aware of what
has happened until the meeting summary has been posted to the relevant
list. That way, I end up asking the dumb questions about what is going
on so the newer participants don't have to ask.

The first thing we must accept is that this is not an easy issue.
_Every_ project suffers from it.  The successful projects figure
something out.

Interestingly the bigger the project, the bigger the issue.

The most common, and seemingly the most effective, solution is to keep
all conversation on a single list until there is a good reason to
split up the list.  Once the list has split, there needs to be some
form of 'digest' to summarize the important threads so that
participants who do not subscribe to a list can quickly review what is
happening elsewhere in the project.

The rational is to avoid prematurely fragmenting the community.  But
once a communication channel is overloaded something needs to happen
to keep the separate pieces synchronized.

I think the first step is to come to some sort of consensus about what
the lists are for.
devel - for developer issues.
marketing - for marketing issues.
iaep - for everything else.