[Sugar-devel] [Physics Activity] Saving contraptions

Asaf Paris Mandoki asafpm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 21:42:00 EDT 2009

Hi,

I've been doing some research and I think that the easiest way to save a
world is by pickling. Pybox2d already supports it so it is pretty
straightforward. I think this should be implemented at the level of Elements
and not directly on the activity. Should I do it in the modified elements we
have inside the activity or should we try to unify the different elements
versions? I personally will prefer to unify the versions to get more benefit
from the work. We should take into account that after I finish with "world
saving" I will work on some new features for the activity that will require
adding features to elements.

There are other alternatives for world saving. An objection to pickling is
that is not human readable and we won't be able to edit scenes with a text
editor but I think that it's better if we add and polish editing features
directly in the activity. The odds that the end user will try to edit a
scene with a text editor are minimal.

Greetings,
Asaf